API Documentation? - SOLVED

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
To Whom It May Concern:

The minimal documentation provided on this site isn't bad for deciding if this framework is good for you to get started. However, I don't know what all attributes I can assign to the varying [Field] or other [] tags. I would appreciate some documentation that explains those items and which ones are available and so on.

Does this exist and I just simply can't find it?

Also, some sort of a tutorial might be nice. I'm working through the SQLiteNorthwind sample to glean as much as I can, but I was just curious about the above.

Thanks!
Jarvis
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Unfortunately, no, I've not spent as much time doing docs as I probably should. If you have something specific you'd like to know about, let me know and I'll try to put something together. Yes, I realize that I'm asking you to tell me what you want to know about, when you don't know what you need to know, and that's probably challenging, but even vague guesses on what you're after, or use case scenarios can give me some direction.
Aug 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM
ctacke,

Thanks for your interest in helping. I really appreciate that and this gives me some confidence that I may be able to proceed...

I have figured out somewhat where to find what's available for each of the attributes.

Some things I did want to ask after digging a bit in the source code...
Does it support ManyToMany reference types? (Saw it in the enum)
Does it handle it with an extra reference table?
Should I build the reference tables manually?

What do I need Proxy's for? Is it something I should definitely use for speed?

I'm probably going to have to maintain a middle ground between objects I may need to modify from my current 'dictionary' properties... I used dictionary's as my 'db'... so it probably needs a change, but I currently need to support both methods as to maintain backwards compatibility. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Jarvis
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM
ManyToMany (N:N) is currently only a placeholder. It will require a join table, and from an RDBMS standpoint it's not hard, but I also maintain some object database and cloud database implementations, and it's not at all clear cut on how to implement N:N in those scenarios so I've not yet implemented it.

A build proxy is not required, but it definitely speeds things up because it removes the need to use reflection to set object properties on construction. I don't recall the exact perf gain numbers, but they were substantial (and should be published on the blog or on this site).

Remember that your Entity classes don't have to contain only the Field properties. Those are all the ORM uses, but you could also put your shim logic in them that handles your current Dictionary work.
Aug 27, 2013 at 1:07 AM
ctacke,

I haven't seen any samples of how to do a OneToMany. Could you throw one in here?

Thanks!
Jarvis
Sep 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM
ctacke,

I see the ManyToOne associations, but I would like to be able to access my objects from the OneToMany side as well. Could you please provide an example of this?

Thanks!
Jarvis
Sep 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM
ctacke & all reading...

I have found the OneToMany in the documentation. I don't know how I missed it! I guess because it's not in the Sample code, I somehow overlooked it in the documentation. Here's a link to all the relational descriptions: https://orm.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Creating%20Entity%20References&referringTitle=Documentation

Thanks!

SOLVED.