SQL Server 2008 R2

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I notice that this supports SQL Server CE. 

Would you be willing to give an overview of what you think would be needed to make this work with SQL Server 2008 R2?

(I am using Entity Framework and it is just slow and does too much.  I would be interested in finding a nice simple way to persist my objects.)

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Assuming that the SqlCommand supports TableDirect commands (I've not used it in forever, so I really don't know offhand) then getting it to work should be pretty simple.  Create a new DataStore implementation, using the SqlCeDataStore as a template.  You can probably re-use a majority of that store implementation and just modify initialization/construction to build up the proper connection string and using SqlCommand instead of SqlCeCommand objects, etc.  My gut feeling is that it can probably be put together is a day or less.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM

There a many simple ORMs for SQL Server these days, maybe they should be considered (Massive, SimpleDB)

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

@Erik,

Absolutely, there's no reason not to investigate other ORMs, especially if you're coming from another ORM implementation.  Having a single code base that can change backing stores with a simple config change is pretty appealing, though, and I'm a huge fan of not having to learn multiple frameworks for the same general task so from my perspective, porting this ORM would be useful for me if I needed full SQL Server support.